To report the long-term success and complications of modified goniosurgery to prevent aniridic glaucoma, an entity that typically is difficult to control medically or surgically.
A retrospective review of the medical charts.
Fifty-five eyes in 33 patients who had aniridia without glaucoma and who underwent goniosurgery were identified. Ninety-one procedures were performed on the 55 eyes by 1 surgeon (D.S.W.). Each eye had an average of 1.65 procedures and an average of 200° of goniosurgery. Average age at time of initial goniosurgery was 36.6 months. There were no operative complications. No eye had a decrease in visual acuity at last follow-up. All eyes had a preoperative intraocular pressure (IOP) less than 21 mm Hg. At last follow-up (average, 9 years 6 months; range, 8 months to 24 years), 49 eyes (89%) had IOPs less than 22 mm Hg without medications. The remaining 6 eyes (11%) had IOPs of 22 mm Hg or less with up to 2 types of eyedrops.
Without prophylactic goniotomy, aniridic glaucoma may be expected in half of patients, and when it occurs, it is extremely difficult to control. Prophylactic goniosurgery in selected eyes of young patients with aniridia may be effective in preventing aniridic glaucoma.